Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:38:36 -0800
From:      Sean Chittenden <seanc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.org>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, doc@FreeBSD.org, trhodes@FreeBSD.org, dwmalone@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

--BzhqTaE66jeIVBY0

> I wonder if plain XML and an XSL transformation would not be a bit
> easier to do (and possibly maintain) than all the additional
> hairiness that, with all due respect, DocBook would add.
>=20
> Attached is a simple example that still needs quite a lot of work on
> the formatting front, especially WRT trimming leading spaces, but it
> demonstrates the basic idea.

Ooh, fabulous.  This is exactly what XML/XSL should be used
for... only problem is that this has the nasty requirement of adding
an xml/xsl processor to the build process.  Given the project's
reliance on XML/XSL for the doc builds, having this in the base system
is something that I'd very much like to see.  Is there someone in the
crowd who wants to convince the "keep the base tree small" camp that
there is indeed a need and use for the libxml/xslt bits?

If things get far enough down the road and a shepherd is needed for
the libxml/libxslt bits, I wouldn't mind doing that given that I track
the library pretty closely and know it pretty well too (wrote
ruby-libx(ml|slt)).  -sc

--=20
Sean Chittenden

--BzhqTaE66jeIVBY0