Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:51:07 GMT
From:      wkb@freebie.demon.nl
To:        Marc Bigler <marc_bigler@yahoo.com>, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on an Alpha DEC2000 Model 300 (JENSEN)

> Hi !
>
> I would like to know how I can find out if FreeBSD is
> compatible on an
> Alpha machine (DEC2000 Model 300) from Digital ?
>
> Or does maybe anyone know if it does ? I had a look at
> the HARDWARE.TXT
> for FreeBSD 4.1 (Alpha version) and didn't find it
> referenced in.

Correct, Jensen is not supported in FreeBSD/alpha at this point in
time.

> Is this machine to old ?

That is not the reason, it is more that nobody of the developers
has ever dived into Jensen. It is definitely a 'special'piece of
hardware that needs quite some specific code support.

The NetBSD folks, specifically Jason Thorpe, is working to get
Jensen supported in NetBSD. When this succeeds we might see a port
of the necessary support code to FreeBSD/alpha sometime.

Wilko