Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:51:06 +0200
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        Bernard Higonnet <bthcom@higonnet.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to find out a VPN link has gone down (or better, come back up)?

I might be wrong but wouldn't that be a job for devd ?

Alternatively set a cron job every minute to reinstall the route.

On 16 Jun 2013, at 12:22, Bernard Higonnet <bthcom@higonnet.net> wrote:

> I have a machine, FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0, running a VPN (MPD5) server.
>=20
> Every once in a while, the link goes down, presumably because of some thir=
d-party event on the network.
>=20
> When this happens, an element placed in the routing table by hand disappea=
rs since the node on the VPN server to the far-off client machine no longer e=
xists (even though the entry in the routing table is marked "permanent" when=
 it does exist). When the network problem goes away, the VPN link is automat=
ically restored, but not the routing table.
>=20
> Can someone tell me if there is a way to be notified that the link has bee=
n restored so that I can run a script etc. to restore the routing table to w=
hat I want?