Date:      18 Jan 2002 18:27:47 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New European Warranty

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:

> Not surprisingly, my CDROM and floppy and tape drives, with
> filtered air being escaping through them, rather than the
> unfiltered air being sucked into them, depositing dust over
> the optics and heads, also have had significantly fewer
> problems since I began this practice, 8 years ago.

Glad to hear it!   I'm suprised how few discussions of case cooling
mention it.I've been preaching that idea whenever the subject comes up
for the last few years, except I've been too lazy to change my power
supply fan.  I've only got another case fan sucking through a filter
with only a slight case positive pressure.

Another thing people should do is get a can of compressed air (or a tank
and non-oily compresser) and blast the dust off every few months.

Someone had a great article on cooling a few months back (I lost it,
drat) in which he showed that increased pressure has negligible effect
on cooling and adding a case fan which sucks to a case with a fan that
blows has a non-negiligible, but seldom-worth-it effect on cooling.  I
wish he'd have suggested Terry's idea, and suggested adding air escapes
near hard drives.

I'll bet the 2-year warrantees promote hardware abuse.  Why bother
buying an extra case fan when you can rely on the warrantee until
it's obsolete in 2 years?  Then there's the overclockers...

I'd much rather have a choice in warrantees.  Ever noticed that many
people buy always service aggrements, many never do, and many do it
sometimes?  Why should bureaucrats descide that sort of thing?

P.S. Surely, those warrantee requirements aren't required for software
(except for the media readability)?