Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 1999 15:37:07 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Targeting the server: Not such a good idea?

At 06:43 PM 10/8/99 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>This probably belongs on Advocacy.

Maybe. However, the last time I mentioned something like this on
-advocacy, I was flamed for being "off topic!" So, I decided to
post to -chat, where no one could make that accusation.

>The invitation for comments looks like "and I'll whup the man what
>says it ain't so" -- I think the article itself is sufficient
>solicitation.

I'm not looking to "whup the man who says it ain't so," but I would
like to hear if there are strong arguments on the other side.

>It would be nice if the original guy posted it,

I asked him to. But as a government employee, he said that doing that
would get him in hot water! He told me to feel free to post an approximation
of what he said, so long as I didn't post it under his name.

>such that the
>message was not damned in some small minds by the messenger.

Am I such a bad person to serve as the messenger? Yes, I have
said some controversial things here in the past, and that may
have rubbed a few people the wrong way. But I think that folks
will agree that I mean well, even if I have ideas that they
sometimes consider to be odd.

--Brett