Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 04:56:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hasty@netcom.com
Subject:   Whee - I've got my MBONE feed..

Now I just need to figure out how to use it! ;-)

Some others may find my progress, or lack thereof, enlightening:

1. Crank up sound card (SB16), make sure it at least works from the /dev/audio
   viewpoint.  Don't know of SB16 will *work*, but at least I know I can
   deal with audio on a fairly generic level.

2. Go on hunting expedition to ftp.ee.lbl.gov and grab wb, sd, vat and nv.

3. Bring up sd..   Nothing...  Wait..  Ok, here they come!  The House and
   Senate are both yacking away, there's a couple of general meetings,
   Hmmmm.  Ah!  World Radio something - and it's transmitting!

4. Click on World Radio something..  Up comes VAT.  Hmmmmm.  A bunch of
   people down the left hand side..  Listening?  Hmmm.  I can select them,
   there's a radio channel "broadcasting" since I can click shift-left and
   see the packets fly in.  But nothing on the speaker!  No audio!  Foo!

5. Click on lecture at University of Illinois..  Up comes nv.  Information
   about grabbers, video transmit bandwidth, blah blah..  No pictures!  No
   sound!

6. Play with about 5 other things, briefly joining a shared whiteboard at
   Cisco (only member - went away again), basically a wash-out.  Nothing feeps,
   flashes or jumps out of my computer except the noise of me softly clicking
   on the mouse.

What's the story with this stuff?  Have I got the wrong hardware?  Is it
a send-only broadcast network? :-)  What do most folks do with these cute
little InterViews based toys?

Thanks!

					Jordan