Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:11:15 +0200
From:      Leon Breedt <ljb@devco.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   a20m & freebsd success

Hi!

I've managed to get FreeBSD going on one of these difficult IBM ThinkPad
A20m's. I tried the solution suggested by David Lebel, but my model A20m
just doesn't like any form of type 165 partition.

So what I did is install FreeBSD, and then just before rebooting, change
the type of the FreeBSD partition to 166 (OpenBSD), since I noticed the
notebook has no problem with it.

I chose to *not* install the FreeBSD boot loader, it probably wouldn't have
worked with an OpenBSD type partition.

Instead, since I use the GRUB bootloader (which has rudimentary ffs filesystem
drivers), I could still point it at the correct /boot/loader to use for
booting FreeBSD.  And it works!

Oh, and you don't need to take the machine in to any vendor to get it fixed
if you installed and it won't boot...Pull the drive out (its located on the
middle left side of your notebook, then power up the notebook, press
F12 when it displays the prompt, and wait for the boot menu to appear.
Once its displayed, push the drive back in, wait 10-15 seconds for it to
power up, and select CDROM if you want to boot from a rescue cd, from which
you can change the partition type. I don't think this will damage the drive,
but no guarantees :). I was desperate and alone in a hotel room with no
easily accessible 3rd party PCs :)

Have fun!

Leon.
--
System Administrator, Devco                 : http://www.devco.net
GSM                                         : +27-82-789-1245