Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:36:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What laptop do you recommend?

Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net> wrote:
 > I am also now starting to look into Pentium-M (higher end) rather than
 > dual cores ($$ mainly). I haven't heard one comment about 64bit cpus +
 > laptops + freebsd.

Personally I think 64bit doesn't buy you much in a laptop,
unless you have a very special application that benefits
from it.

There are still a lot of GUI apps that won't run in 64bit
mode (ports marked as i386-only).  Also, laptops usually
don't have more than 4 GB of memory, so you don't need the
enlarged address space of 64bit mode either.

Of course, you could make the point that a 64bit laptop
would at least offer the ability to switch in the future,
wenn all apps run fine in 64bit mode.  Also, AMD64 laptops
are generally fast, even in 32bit mode.

Just my two Euro cents.  YMMV.

Best regards
   Oliver

"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs
would delete themselves upon execution."
        -- Robert Sewell