Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:47:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matthew George <mdg@secureworks.net>
To:        Michael Collette <metrol@metrol.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <FreeBSD-Security@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFW: combining "divert natd" with "keep-state"

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Michael Collette wrote:

> BTW, is there a way to give certain IPs permissions to reloading IPFW's
> rules?
> There's some stuff I'd like to be able to admin remotely.  Darn box
> won't let
> me reload rules, but it will let me reboot.  I've done this quite a bit
> in
> the past to force new rules to load.  I was rather hoping there was a
> more
> elegant solution to this.
>
> Later on,

if you have 'flush' at the top of your ruleset, you can (sometimes) get
away with an `ipfw -q`.  I find screen windows (ports/misc/screen) to be
most effective, though ... even if the connection dies, the screen will
detach and continue processing the rules file.

--
Matthew George
SecureWorks Technical Operations