Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:49:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinking about more work on 'patch'

In message: <p0511171db8f1029092b3@[128.113.24.47]>
            Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> writes:
: When checking the 'patch' utility while doing the "no newline"
: update, I noticed that both OpenBSD and NetBSD have a number
: of nice updates to clean up parts of the source code.  I also
: noticed that both of them have a version of patch which is
: BSD-licensed, apparently because someone got Larry Wall to
: re-license one of the early versions of patch [I am a little
: vague on the exact details there...].

You should send mail to the NetBSD folks.  However, my recollection
from their developer list traffic, as well as a hazy conversation I
had with Perry over beers at BSDcon was that they had explicit
permission from Larry Wall to do this.  Also, older versions of patch
were not released under the GPL, but something kinda BSD-like.  Patch
pre-dated perl, which was Larry's first thing to use the Artistic
license.

: Take the patch from OpenBSD or NetBSD, and put it in
: src/usr.bin (I think theirs are based on patch 2.0.<x>).
: Then add whatever updates the other one has done, and
: then add whatever updates we (as freebsd) have done.

I think that it would be a worthwhile project.  I got the impression
from Perry that he'd love to see more cooperation between the BSD
camps and for things like this have one version if at all possible.

: Initially I'd suggest putting it in with 'PROG=bpatch' in
: the Makefile (just so it will not install over the patch we
: presently use), and only switch it to being 'patch' when we
: are comfortable that I have all the pieces in the new version.
:
: Once done, we could then toss both of the other two versions
: into the attic.  Is this worth doing?

Sounds good to me.  Just make sure that this effort doesn't derail
efforts to MFC the changes to patch that makes it grok the no EOL at
end of file stuff that was just added :-)

Warner