Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:36:47 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rel.current entity for www/en a la Handbook

--==_Exmh_1717732030P

If memory serves me right, Dima Dorfman wrote:

> How are you including the committers and manpages entities right now?
> Ideally, we would have something.ent which both relnotes and doc/
> stuff would include; it'd contain things like rel.current, os, etc.
> This is a problem, however, because doc/ may not be accessable when
> relnotes are compiled.  If the latter isn't true (i.e., the existence
> of doc/ is guaranteed), then having a generic entities file for this
> stuff would be nice.

I need doc/ to build RENOTESng anyways, so availability is not a problem
(as you deduced, I am getting the committer and manpage entries from
there).  Let me try expressing the problem again....

At this point in time, there is only one FAQ, one Handbook, and so on.
So these documents have only a single notion of what &rel.current;
should be (right now, it's 4.3-RELEASE).

But in src/, on the other hand (where the release notes live), there's
several states (bad term, sorry) that can be considered to be an
"up-to-date" version of FreeBSD.  One of them is
5.0-CURRENT-as-it-exists -right-now, another is
4.3-STABLE-as-it-exists-right-now, a third is
3.5.1-STABLE-as-it-exists-right-now, and so on.

Ok.  If I were to build release notes for 5.0-CURRENT (i.e. the HEAD CVS
branch), I need &rel.current; to say "5.0-CURRENT".  If I'm doing so for
4.3-STABLE (i.e. the RELENG_4 branch), I need &rel.current; to say
(obviously) "4.3-STABLE".  Either of these is a semantically valid
"current release" at the current instant in time.  But www/en/
includes.sgml can only take on one of these values.

How's that?

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1717732030P

--==_Exmh_1717732030P--