Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 08:40:27 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Alexander Snarskii <snar@lucky.net>
Cc:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing overall security....

In message <199702111418.QAA06995@burka.carrier.kiev.ua> Alexander Snarskii writes:
: But do Theo checks
: every new sendmail distribution ?

Yes.  He does.  And he routinely applies additional tweaks the sources
in OpenBSD from what I can tell.

: Or did he checked all the FreeBSD
: packages/ports which can use this functions and have enough privileges
: to destroy your system if exploited?

No.  He hasn't.  That's a FreeBSD thing :-).  However, now that ports
are part of the OpenBSD system (or at least supported), I think this
may change.

: Or did anybody checks it and
: published patches to ones (if the holes are found) ?

Often time Theo is behind the scenes and knows about these before the
great unwashed masses know about them.  And he fixes those problems in
OpenBSD that are present.

Keep in mind, as was recently pointed out to me, that just bringing in
the OpenBSD patches will not make FreeBSD secure.  For that a top to
bottom audit of code running at elevated priviledge must be
completed.  The patches will tend to make FreeBSD more secure, but you
won't know until after you've audited if you've grabbed everything or
not.

Warner