Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:44:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, "" <hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Poor state of some top-level FTP mirrors

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> I suspect you're wrong.  Can you provide supporting evidence?

not really - i should try and go back to some logs we kept, but
most of the evidence was anecdotal by asking on this list how
package trees are maintained.

in any case, the up to dateness of mirrors is quite an important
issue and i guess worth pursuing.  a lot of the other projects
either have systems in place or are also looking at putting
systems in place to provide verification and feedback on
mirrors that fall out of date.  and (i am speaking out loud)
with the efforts in organizing a US master mirror, an EU
master mirror and possible one other, it is starting to again
look good for organizing tiers of mirrors to spread out the
load of updating and hopefully making it more reliable/faster.

we stopped updating the packages tree daily at one point where it
reached the stage that the first update was not completing before
the next one started to delete files already - this was some
months ago though.

regards,

-jason