Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 05:37:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      <unknown@hades.riverstyx.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

I guess I'll toss something in here... I was a Linux guy for quite a
while, ran a lot of servers with Linux, got pretty familiar with it... and
then I tried FreeBSD.  And it was really great, as far as initial
installation and getting new software to work on it.

The kernel configuration is easy to use, and actually pretty cool the way
you can have multiple profiles and stuff.  The ports collection is
probably the single coolest thing I've ever seen in a distribution.  No
Linux distro has anything that comes close to comparing to that. On the
plus side, it appears to be really nice and stable as a web server or mail
server, no problems encountered there.  Software installs seamlessly on
it, whereas on a Linux server half the time I have to go in and tweak some
minor environment variable or some such because every distro's a whole new
breed.  It was a matter of running 'make install' to go from a console
only machine to a fully functional X-windows machine with Enlightenment
installed.

Unfortunately, it's irritatingly arcane in certain areas, and some parts
of it are utterly ridiculous (the partitioning system.. who made that
up???).  If there were more documentation, and a better directory
hierarchy it'd be a whole lot better.  Also, if the TCP/IP stack was a
whole lot better, and a whole lot more useful, that'd be a big plus.
Check out the features that Linux 2.2's got going right now.  It's also a
lot harder to get FreeBSD to interoperate with other OS'.  In Linux, if I
bring up a standard distro, it's trivial to mount and work with the
filesystems of other OS'.  FreeBSD gave me grief about the way I'd
partitioned my first drive, and totally corrupted my second ext2 drive. It
didn't want to touch my second partition on my first drive because of a
missing label problem, and the fdisk program was crippled in usability
compared to the partitioning programs that even MS-DOS comes with.
Browsing through the kernel source, a good deal of that code is just weird
and idiosyncratic.  Like that whole 'root/swap/whole disk/other stuff'
partitioning scheme that you appear to have to use.  The process of making
a new filesystem newfs program is painful and unnecessarily complex when
compared to the mkfs style programs that Linux comes with.  NFS didn't
work all that great with my Linux or Solaris NFS servers or clients.  In
fact, it was totally non-functional with files over 200 bytes talking to a
Linux NFS server (with both knfsd and nfsd).  It worked great when talking
to other FreeBSD servers.

Anyhow, that's just my experience so far.  I'm not going to run FreeBSD as
a workstation again.  I'm thinking of using it as a server for some
essential services, like DNS and mail, 'coz from what I've heard, it's
really quite stable, but that's about it. It doesn't appear to be usable
in a really high performance environment for say, web hosting, but again
that's a matter of poor documentation and information. Where can I get
information like this?  It's pretty sparse out there...