Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:59:16 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Verisign, Thawte, Entrust, whom?

On 21 Oct 2002 at 13:27, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:
> > On 21 Oct 2002 at 13:25, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> > > Well, not to beat a dead horse,
> > > but since we've recently chatted
> > > about registrars, who do you like
> > > for your SSL certs?
> >
> > Some friends are looking at this issue now. So far, we have settled
> > on http://www.instantssl.com/ but found that http://www.freessl.com/
> > is even cheaper so will look at them closer before deciding.
> >
> > There's a bit of a list (from one of the vendors mind you) at
> > http://www.whichssl.com/
>
> The canonical answer for HTTPS: has to be:
>
>  "Whatever vendors whose top level authorities are installed
>   by default in both IE and Netscape"

That will vary from version to version.  Newer browsers have more CA
certs.

When Terry mentions "vendors whose top level authorities" I think it
reflects the situation where a few companies have gotten around the
problem of not having aroot cert in IE/Netscape by getting one of the
"established" CAs to sign an intermediate CA certificate for them.
See http://www.whichssl.com/faq/intermediates.html for a bit more
detail on the matter.

--
Dan Langille