Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 12:34:06 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The shared /bin and /sbin bikeshed

In message <200011091922.eA9JMZR10926@earth.backplane.com> Matt Dillon writes:
:     Ah, for flash booting turnkey solutions... I see the benefit!  But
:     wouldn't something like /stand's all-in-one binary with hardlinks
:     for most common boot/recovery options be an even better solution?

Not always.

While you tend to get the absolute smallest system that way, you do
pay a price.  They are a bit PITA to upgrade individual parts of the
system in place (which is sometimes required).  It is also harder to
layer together different products that way since you pay a big price
for each static binary you want to put on the disk.  With shared
libaries you just add the binaries.  We also run to run the same
binaries on different systems and don't want to have to regenerate one
monolithic binary.

And the size savings isn't that huge.

It is for similar reasons that we don't do a compressed MFS image for
the whole thing.  Our volumes are not high enough to deal with those
headaches.  Also, we need as much ram as we can get for our apps.
Some of our boards are maxed out right now.

If our volumes were a lot higher, and our margings smaller, I'd likely
be shooting at a 2M-4M PicoBSD image.  Discounting the RAM issue.

Warner