Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 16:36:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, dyson@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, grog@lemis.com, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Kevin Day wrote:

> on a production system. I needed SMP support, and couldn't wait, and didn't
> A -current machine is handling www.mk4.com (2,000,000+ hits per month),
> several shell accounts, and other heavy uses. (and it's running rc564 in the

  Did you need SMP support because you needed it for your particular
hardware, or did you need SMP because uni-processor hardware isn't fast
enough?

  2 million hits a month is peanuts these days.  I have a UP system that
takes 30 million a month, plus a million e-mails, and it is barely at 50%
utilization.

  I'd prefer getting multiple servers than run a risky SMP release on a
single server.

  And no, 2.2 is not getting old yet.  Remember most 24x7 sites only do
upgrades twice a year (or less), and 2.2.5 hasn't been out that long.

Tom