Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:40:01 -0600
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@grafin.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfsd/ypserv die on smp

* Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@grafin.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp> [011121 08:02] wrote:
> Dear Folks,
> I am running R4.4 on dual P3/1GHz PC box. The box is meant to be the
> file server and nis server in my network.  In these weeks, I am observing
> very funny things on this box.
>
> The problem is that, as stated in the Subject line, nfsd and ypserv die
> on this smp box.
> (1) When I started running R4.3, I noticed ypserv dies within a few days,
> while nfsd dies very rarely.  `lastcomm ypserv' returns "-SFX" mark.
> (2) Now, on R4.4, nfsd die often.  `lastcomm nfsd' also returns the
> same.
> #  Yesterday, I invoked nfsd with `-u -t -n 16', but now only 9
> of them are alive.

I think there's some weirdness in either the nfsd userland or kernel
code that makes "max startups" limited to 8 or so.  The nfsds probably
didn't die, they just never started up.  Can you test to see what
happens right away if you issue -n 16?

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
                           http://www.morons.org/rants/gpl-harmful.php3