Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:56:46 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd problem we're seeing here

On Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 07:01:52PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Was this issue ever resolved to your satisfaction?
> >
> > Not really.  I turned off NVSV3 on the affected machines; that "fixed" it,
> > but its a hack, not a real fix.
>
> I didn't realize you had sent this to the list, Mike, or I would have
> specifically addressed the previous response.
>
> Karl's correct; this is the "workaround" I suggested for the problem,
> and it's somewhat less than satisfying.  It gets around the problem
> with opportunity locking by simply disabling it.  This is less than
> satisfying because opportunity locking (leases) result in a *serious*
> performance increase.
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org

Yeah, well, it led to a pretty serious performance issue (which we were
able to fix through other means).

We run a curious mixture of V2 and V3 now, mostly dictated by whether or
not this problem is "real" in a given situation and use.

I'd LOVE to see this fixed, but serious attention to this and the MMAP
problems appears to be one of those things that just isn't on people's
priority lists.  If/when I get a chunk of free time I'll probably dig into
it, but that's not likely to happen in the immediate future.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV