Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:17:56 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        andrew@grillet.co.uk
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems

--=-B3WQoaAO/+dKW1ovUDt2

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 09:01, Andrew Grillet wrote:
> Hi
>=20
> I have done a CVSup to fetch ports and stable over a fresh install of=20
> FreeBSD 4.8.
>=20
> When building Gnome (2.4.0) I had problems with gstreamer requiring an=20
> old version of gnomeui. 2.00 instead of 2.4.=20
>=20
> I patched the makefile for gstreamer and gstreamer-plugins, to version=20
> 2.4.0 and it now gnome compiles OK (subject to having enough disk space=20
> :-)
>=20
> BUT what I want to know is=20
>=20
> WHY IN GODS NAME DO I HAVE TO SPEND TWO DAYS COMPILING AUDIO STUFF FOR A=20
> MACHINE WITH NO SOUND HARDWARE?=20
>=20
> Surely the default should be that there is no sound support - who needs=20
> sound in a business environment? Or do people think it deters their=20
> employees surfing porn sites?
>=20
> I think there is a more general problem here: Surely Gnome should not be=20
> dependent on things like mozilla - it should integrate them if they are=20
> present, but if they aren't. it should not fetch them and compile them=20
> - many of us use different applications, or have no need of an=20
> equivalent application on machines used for a specific purpose. It is=20
> annoying to find the Gui hauls in every application known to the=20
> developers. (If its any consellation - I have had the same moan at the=20
> KDE team several times :-)

These are arguments you should take up with the GNOME development team.=20
GNOME puts out a desktop release with a set of components, and those are
ported to FreeBSD.  The majority of users want things like a browser,
and multimedia tools.  If you don't want all of those things, you might
consider making your own GNOME 2 meta-port modeled after x11/gnome2 that
just includes the components you want.

Joe