Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 20:33:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Raistrick <drais@wow.atlasta.net>
Cc:        "Drew J. Weaver" <drew.weaver@thenap.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Sprint ION on FreeBSD?

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Aaron wrote:

> According to Sprint its an ethernet "gateway". This is where my poor
> network understanding gets me in trouble. I'd have to plug this into my
> firewall which would then plug into my 8 port switch for the network
> correct? Heaven forbid this thing have odd, unconfigurable firewall-ish
> settings.

It should really be nothing more then what could be termed a router.

It will have an IP address on its wireless interface that sprint will take
care of.  on the wired interface will be one IP address of the subnet that
is assigned to you.  This address would be the default gateway for
anything on that network. (aka: route add default ip-of-ION or route add
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ip-of-ion)

Of course, in order to speak to it, any device on the same ethernet
segment would need an address in your subnet.

for example, just say they assigned you 4.1.1.0/29 as your network.  I
presume your firewall is a dual-interface version, that is capable of
doing NAT across the interfaces...if not, adjust this diagram accordingly.

sprintnet

ION-CPE
 4.1.1.1/29
  |___________this ethernet segment could be a simple crossover cable (or
straight, depending on their equipment...some of these type devices have a
built in crossover port for this purpose. to use with a hub/switch you
would then use a crossover cable to the hub)
 Or this segment could contain outside-of-firewall servers, hung off of a
hub or switch.  The firewall and any servers would use the 4.1.1.1 address
as their default gateway. (and be sure not to overlap IPs between your nat
table and this side!:)

 4.1.1.2/29  nat table:  4.1.1.3>192.168.1.10 4.1.1.4>192.168.1.11
Firewall
 192.168.1.1
   \
    \
   hub/switch-----192.168.1.11 workstation
  /            \
 192.168.1.10   \___everything in here, except the firewall, would use
workstation         192.168.1.1 as the default gateway (all with a /24
		     netmask...:)

Of course, I'm just guessing here.  But this is the general idea.  They'll
assign you a subnet, and the ION will be your router/default gateway out
of the subnet.

...david (worked on a lot of WISP configurations, though not with the ION
equipment.)

---
david raistrick (deep in the south georgia woods)
drais@atlasta.net