Date:      24 Sep 2002 00:43:15 +0200
From:      Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef@web.de>
To:        Jamie Jones <jamie@host-997.news.landeg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Opera press release

Jamie Jones <jamie@host-997.news.landeg.com> writes:

> In light of these 2 threads, I'd like to ask what the advantage of a FreeBSD
> version is (from a technical, not a PR point of view.. obvious its great PR
> news), and why Opera have decided to release a native FreeBSD version ?

I don't know about those threads, but here are my personal views as a
mere FreeBSD user:

1) I finally don't have to keep all those linux libs around. Opera was
   the only program that required Linux compat that I used, except for
   building the native JDK. So, lots of free MB on my hard disk, and
   one thing less to keep in mind when configuring my kernel.

2) After a first test run, at least the startup time seems to be
   faster than with the Linux binary on FreeBSD, and even the Windows
   version on W2K. Obviously, I didn't try the Linux/Windows 6.1
   versions yet, but that's just nice.

So I'd say, lets give them some hits on their server so they'll notice
that the FreeBSD version didn't go unnoticed...

Regards
Henrik