Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 19:26:41 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Pedro Giffuni S," <giffunip@asme.org>
Cc:        Douglas Carmichael <dcarmich@mcs.com>, freebsd-platforms@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for the PowerMac?

On Sat, 11 Oct 1997, Pedro Giffuni S, wrote:

> Douglas Carmichael wrote:
> >
> > Could it be done by:
> >
> > 1) Porting the "Lites" single server (http://www.cs.hut.fi/lites.html) to PowerPC
>
> There is a newer version
> http://www.cs.utah.edu/projects/flux/lites/html/
>
> > 2) Running it under Mach (which is already used by MkLinux)
>
> There is a NetBSD project also, but I can't recall if it runs with Mach.

To be exact there are both NetBSD and OpenBSD projects in the work of
porting to the PowerPC (OpenBSD-s came partially from NetBSD, and there
are a number of diffrences (like the use of ELF)). As far as I know, none
of these are based on Mach, both are native, at least to a point. There
does not seem to be native drivers yet (OpenFirmware is used instead).

> > 3) Making the whole "world" except the kernel and libraries from FreeBSD/i386.
> >

> To be honest there is not much interest for this :(. The ALPHA port is
> more interesting and I think Digital has offered some support for this.
> The other platforms don't really seem to care at all.

There is (or at least seems to be) some interest in this, but it is latent
at the moment - nothing much really going on, which could, to ceratin
extent be attributed also as the cause for the lack of support.

	Sander