Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 02:28:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Michael C. Vergallen" <mvergall@double-barrel.be>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>
Subject:   Re: How good is SCO emulation?

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	WE have a system installed by a vendor that runs on SCO OpenServer.
> 	Today I went to add this sytem to our network only to find that I had
> 	inherited a UNIX box _without networking_!
Bad news..

> 	After conversations with an SCO salse droid, and his pupet distributor,
> 	I am lead to belive that I must do a cold install, just to add
> 	neworkign!
Nope that is plain madness ..you can intall the IP software on SCO just as
you do any package however you will need to pay for the software.

>And worse they want to cahrge me for every use, even ove the
> 	network!
Nope that is not correct .. you have to purchase a Licence to use the IP
stack on sco for X concurrent clients.

> 	So here is the question, is it reasonable to consider runing the
> 	vendors app unmodified under FreeBSD?
I'm not shure what the status of the (name of SCO comp module escape me)
is but you should be able to run some apps if you copy the libc's etc over
from your SCO box.

Michael
P.S. Sorry that I'm a bit fuzzy at the moment but my brain is taking a
vacation without me.