Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2016 23:59:43 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Relapse to 80x25 text mode from X

When I initially installed X on my "new" Lenovo Thinkpad R61i,
after leaving X (or after switching to text mode with the
key combination Ctrl+Alt+PF1) the screen would still show
the X image, leaving me "blind" at the console. Changing
the sc driver to vt solved that problem, but opened a new
one: The text mode font is tiny and unreadable.

What is the preferred way of keeping the console in 80x25
mode _and_ being able to switch from/to X?

My /boot/loader.conf currently contains:

	kern.vty=vt
	kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1280x800"
	hw.vga.textmode=1
	i915kms_load="YES"

In /etc/rc.conf I have tried

	allscreens_flags="-f gallant"

as suggested somewhere, but that just slightly increases
the font size (still more than 80x25) and looks ugly.

The laptop contains an Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 GPU. The
screen has a physical size of 1280 x 800 pixels.

In other words: Is it possible to relapse to the default
behaviour of 80x25 sc and X that has worked for decades?
If yes, how?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany