Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 03:50:11 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

>Pentium 75Mhz with 16MB of RAM.  We had been in contact with Paul Berggren
>in Sales for CRL Networking and he said that we can get a T1 router for as
>low as $650 but what kind of router would it be?

   You'll have to ask him.

>FreeBSD+card?  As I understand it, you're the contact for the networking
>at Walnut Creek,

   Yes, that is correct.

> we were wondering what are your experiences with CRL and
>how good is their peering with other ISPs?  Thanks.  Hope someone else who
>has the FreeBSD+card can share their experiences with us.

   They have very good peering. Their backbone was overloaded, but they've
made some changes to mitigate the problem until some additional long-haul DS3
circuits are installed. They have major networking facilities in both San
Francisco and DC with 45Mbit/sec connections to most of the major NAPs.
   This is not to say that things have been completely rosey. CRL didn't have
"direct" peering with Sprint until just a month ago, and they didn't have a
fiber/gigaswitch connection at MAE-east until just a week or so ago (it was
previously just 10Mbit ethernet). Their backbone still sucks and I was seeing
>75% packet loss on it as recently as last week. They don't connect to the
Chicago or NY NAPs ("only" MAE-east, MAE-west, PB-NAP, and CIX SMDS).

-DG

David Greenman