Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:37:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        chris@bb.cc.wa.us (Chris Coleman)
Cc:        cc@tarsier.ca.sandia.gov, jb@cimlogic.com.au, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Basic Question.

Chris Coleman wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Chris Csanady wrote:
> > 	ftp.digital.com:/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/v5.2/alphapc164*
>
> Thanks for the Pointer.  I found the these files at that site:
> 	fwupdate.exe
> 	lx164_v5_1.exe
> 	lx164_v5_1.sys

Looking at DEC's site (I have never seen an AlphaPC 164), it looks like
that machine has firmware that contains both the SRM console and the
AlphaBIOS, so there is only one image to update. The update method
determines which file you use. If you are running AlphaBIOS, my guess is
that it is simply a matter of setting the jumper to enable the firmware
update, selecting the "AlphaBIOS update" menu option and feeding it
a FAT disk with fwupdate.exe in the root directory.

There should (???) be a menu option in the AlphaBIOS that will change the
default to the SRM and on rebooting the machine will come up with the
SRM prompt (>>>).

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137