Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:52:39 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff@mountin.net>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>, Steve Howe <plan9@netlane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /etc/ftpusers

At 08:11 PM 2/21/98 -0500, Gary Palmer wrote:
>Steve Howe wrote in message ID
><Pine.BSF.3.96.980221153313.7257A-100000@hoopty.ptialaska.net>:
>>
>> why does "popclient2.4b2" return "Incorrect password for User"
>> from my 2.2.5 server when the User is listed in /etc/ftpusers?
>>
>> i'd like to allow email to all, but dissallow FTP access to
>> the server for some users ...  please reply via email as well.
>
>Its not popclient, its qpopper. qpopper has a compile time option to
>restrict pop access to people not listed in a file, and I believe it
>defaults to /etc/ftpusers. Solution: recompile qpopper

Another possibility:

It will also use S/key if that is installed first and if you have /etc/skey.access a permit can be added, but I like using it for mail, even if it is a slight hassle.

If you have skey you can test it by copying the line for another account in /etc/skeykeys to the user you are trying:

telnet foo.com 110
Trying <foo.com's IP>...
Connected to foo.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK QPOP (version 2.41beta1) at foo.com starting.  <7938.888144351@foo.com>
user testy
+OK s/key 9876 fo12345 (required)
quit
+OK Pop server at foo.com signing off.
Connection closed by foreign host.

You might want to upgrade too.

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net