Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:08:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd@gtonet.net>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: load spike strangeness

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Bill Fumerola wrote:

<snippage>

> When you go to college, you'll also realize that your SSN isn't exactly
> private, either.

	i seem to recall a nice little website that had the SSN for
	most folks on it. it was searchable, and supposed to help ID
	potential ancestors and relatives (since SSNs ID the geographic
	origin of its holder).

	IIRC, it's run by the Feds anyway..

<snippage>

> Deleting accounts to fight spam is a bass-ackwards approach as well,
> better to use REAL spam fighting techniques, like RBL and filterlists, etc.

	it just sounds inneficiant.

	i'm just to lazy to really deal with SPAM like that, besides, having a
	permanent account to handle my email (around 200 some odd messages
	a day, between the various lists) is way to handy.

	-- jan

  email: jan[at]caustic.org   web: http://www.caustic.org/~jan
   "knowledge is power. power corrupts. study hard, be evil."