Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 2024 18:43:18 +0100
From:      Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
To:        robert@rrbrussell.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: noatime on ufs2

robert@rrbrussell.com wrote in
 <5f370bce-bcdb-47ea-aaa7-551ee092a7d3@app.fastmail.com>:
 |On Tue, Jan 9, 2024, at 05:13, void wrote:
 |> On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 09:47:59AM +0100, Olivier Certner wrote:i
 |>> So, to me, at this point, it still sounds more than a gimmick=20
 |>> than something really useful.  If someone has a precise use case=20

Email existence checks are in UNIX for many decades.
In fact since 1974-11-26 when Ken Thompson added that to login(1).
"You have new mail" is in BSD since

  Commit:     Bill Joy <wnj@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
  CommitDate: 1978-11-05 19:59:54 -0800

    Start development on BSD 3
    Create reference copy of all prior development files

in BSD Mail and csh(1).
And today in bash(1), for example, there can be read

        /* If the user has just run a program which manipulates the
           mail file, then don't bother explaining that the mail
           file has been manipulated.  Since some systems don't change
           the access time to be equal to the modification time when
           the mail in the file is manipulated, check the size also.  If
           the file has not grown, continue. */
        if ((atime >=3D mtime) && !file_is_bigger)
          continue;

        /* If the mod time is later than the access time and the file
           has grown, note the fact that this is *new* mail. */
        if (use_user_notification =3D=3D 0 && (atime < mtime) && file_is_bi=
gger)
          message =3D _("You have new mail in $_");

I would not exactly call this a gimmick.
On Linux mount(8) from https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux says

   relatime
       Update inode access times relative to modify or change time. Access
       time is only updated if the previous access time was earlier than
       or equal to the current modify or change time. (Similar to noatime,
       but it doesn=E2=80=99t break mutt(1) or other applications that need=
       know if a file has been read since the last time it was modified.)

and this is what i use, except for some noatime mount points
(/x/doc, /x/music, /x/pub, to be exact).

--steffen