Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 19:02:17 -0700
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@priori.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail v. sendmail

>Granted the machine I'm running it on is a Pentium 100mHz, not a 486 but
>I don't see why he shouldn't run qmail on his listserver anyway.  Could you
>back up that statement with some facts Mike?

A) A 100 Mhz Pentium is at least 10 times faster than a 486/33 if not moreso.

B) qmail does not deliver multiple recipients at the same site efficiently
and this is far more likely to be an issue on a mailing list machine than
elsewhere.

C) zmailer and the procmail/Smartlist combo both have a reputation for
performance and efficiency in serving up mailing lists. If learning curve
is a problem, then stick with sendmail but use procmail/Smartlist.

P.S. I do run a qmail server for internal corporate mail and I do have
ezmlm installed to serve some small low volume mailing lists. It's a great
combo for an office or even for an ISP who wants to allow their customers
to set up their own mailing lists. But for a single purpose mailing list
server I would prefer tools that are specifically honed for that job.

Michael Dillon                    voice: +1-650-482-2840
Senior Systems Architect            fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."