Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:29:09 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why no CDR ioctls for SCSI cds?

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 15:22:05 -0400, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> One thing that's missing is the ioctl CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE.  It would
> be _really_ nice if cd(4) supported that ioctl so I could just seek
> and read from a CD.  I had knu trying out my read_cd program, and it
> doesn't work for SCSI CD-ROMs, seemingly because of this issue :(
>
> Would you be adverse to implementeing that ioctl?

That's fine.  As it turns out, I've had additional discussions with Mike
Meyer and Matt Jacob and Mike will probably be implementing MMC CD-R
support.  That ioctl will probably be a part of it.

The functionality you're looking for is part of a larger issue of
supporting CDDA reads in the cd(4) driver.

That's needed to support AudioFS.  (As well as to support doing a straight
read off the CD when an audio CD is in there.)

The main problem is that different drives use different commands to read
audio data.  MMC-compliant drives are one case, but there are a lot more
drives out there that use varying methods to read audio data.

It'll also take some tweaking to get the driver to support blocksizes that
aren't multiples of 512 bytes.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry