Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:06:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        se@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bugtraq@polynet.lviv.ua, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q:PCI bridges-extenders supported

 * In case this is not sufficient, there are some PCI
 * extender boxes, but I never used one myself. ASAMI
 * Satoshi has some experience with them.

I'm the ASAMI Satoshi Stefan is talking about.  We got our PCI
expansion boxes from Bit3 (www.bit3.com).  We haven't done much more
than a little testing, but they appeared to work ok.

The model we have has 7 slots in the expansion box; subtracting the 1
slot taken from the main bus for the connector card, each box adds 6
slots net behind three levels of PCI-PCI bridges.  In the picture
above, "=" are the PCI slots.  One of the slots in the expansion box
is designated for the connector card (marked with "*").  The bridge
chips are marked with "B".  (Note the connector cable between the main
unit and the expansion box is also a separate PCI bus.)

Motherboard  |  expansion box
    bus 0    |  bus 1    bus 2
    -=-=-=-=- -*-=-=-=-B-=-=-=-=-
           |   |
           B---B
            bus 1

Our units have the IBM PCI-PCI bridge chips.  The DEC bridge chips
(they are used in Adaptec 3940) work fine too.

 * You should expect FreeBSD to work with all bug-free
 * PCI chip sets. All current Intel chip sets work just
 * fine, and I think SiS is generally OK, too. There
 * have been problems with Compaq and ALI chip sets,
 * but workarounds are implemented to compensate for
 * their bugs ...

Note that it also depends on the BIOS if you want to use deep bridging
like the above.  At the time we tested (1 1/2 years ago), at least
Award BIOS didn't support more than one level of bridges (so we could
use 3940's but not the expansion boxes).  This may have changed.

 * Let me know, if you have any problems with some chip
 * set and I'll send debug patches and will try to find
 * a fix as soon as possible.

Yeah, he's very good at that.  I can vouch for him. :)

Satoshi