Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 11:08:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ted Buswell <tbuswell@acadia.net>
To:        wietse@porcupine.org (Wietse Venema)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need FreeBSD 4.0 removable SCSI support

Wietse Venema writes:
 > 1460B + Jaz 2GB locks up the machine.
 >

 > I conclude that FreeBSD 4.0 cannot work with my hardware. Perhaps
 > it gets upset by garbage from the Jaz disk. I do not care anymore.

Even though you don't care anymore, whether or not the Jaz is upsetting
the card or driver by spewing garbage is easy to determine: with nothing
plugged into your bus adapter, does the rescan still lockup your
machine?  And while we're talking about it, is the lockup a real
lockup, or is it simply that the camcontrol process hangs and you have
it in your startup sequence in such a way that the boot is not able to
continue?

Also, did you do the obvious things like trying the aic on different
interrupts [well, at least both of the interrupts that you stated you
use with other devices successfully]?  In your second(? third?)
message to the -scsi list, you sent the following (snippets from) dmesg:

>aic1: <Adaptec 6260/6360 SCSI controller> at port 0x340-0x35f irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
>aic1: aic6360, dma, disconnection, parity check
>(probe0:aic1:0:0:0): ccb 0xc0b3c000 - timed out, phase 0xa6, state 1

I'm not sure about yours, but my 1460B does not list irq 3 as one of
the valid IRQ's that it can generate.  Check "pccardc dumpcis" and
search for IRQ.  While "timed out" messages could also be cable/device
related, on my setup they indicated an IRQ conflict.

For what it's worth, 5.0-CURRENT + SMP 2xPII + SlimSCSI 1460B (irq 9) + Iomega
Zip works.

 > It looks like Linux will have to be my long-term solution. It was
 > nice knowing you people.
 >
 > 	Wietse

Apologies in advance if this was meant to convey that you are no
longer interested in resolving this problem.

-Ted