Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:22:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wvhemel@vub.ac.be>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Branching www/ for XML development

On 26 Sep 2001, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> Please say if kibitzers are unwelcome in discussions like this;
> I'm new here.

Same goes for me. :)

> It may be just my imagination but I'm sure I'm not alone in finding
> reading through portholes just disturbing or claustrophobic.  Also makes
> makes me feel I'm having something forced upon me which I didn't ask for
> want (even if it IS good for me).  Makes me kind of mad at the provider.

I really have to agree. To have this structure on all generated pages
might be overkill, and give too much distraction for people looking for
specific contents - a bit of a too 'spammy' look.

On some pages -such as the homepage itself- this doesn't matter, since
homepages traditionally show the broad selection of information contained
in or related to the site.

> For many pages (articles, etc) I think it would be best to let the
> content author do everything except a panel or two at the bottom for
> navigation and anything the web site wants to say.  (Actually, I'd
> also have a small footer frame with a few links to the home page,
> nav page, page index, etc., but I guess frames have been ruled out.)

This seems like a good idea to me. In rather specific content-pages, a
header and footer may be suffisient. A long page could contain small 'back
to top' - buttons, this works almost as efficient as a side-menu.

As I see it, there are two types of pages, ones that have a more
'referring' function - those could be packed with links, new-headlines,
polls and whatever other goodies, and others that have a more 'destined'
function, the information being a specific goal for the visite to the
page. These pages have to lead the user back to a 'road map' page,
ofcourse; but have a myriad of links and referrers on every page, may have
a tiring and distracting effect. Imagine you have to read loads of pages
like that... or print them...

Just my idea.

/ wouter