Date:      Sun, 12 May 2013 16:50:46 -0400
From:      Chris Ross <cross+freebsd@distal.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Reinstalling boot blocks on a ZFS-only system

  So, I've long known and it makes sense that when you're booted from a =
ZFS volume, you can't mess with the boot-loader.  And, I know a few =
months ago I had a set of commands I would use when booted from a CD =
that would initialize the network and copy the "release/boot" from =
somewhere else so that I could install bootblocks and boot-loaders from =
more recent code.  Sadly, I didn't _record_ those commands I was using.

  What do "people in the know" do when they want to update the =
bootblocks of a ZFS-boot system?  Or, have too few people followed this =
path so far that they can boot UFS and do it with less difficulty?

  Thanks.  Happy for any information.

                                            - Chris