Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 14:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/1522: dump/restore leading to corrupted files

The following reply was made to PR bin/1522; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To: nik@blueberry.co.uk
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 22:41:24 +0200 (MET DST)

 As Nik Clayton wrote:

 > 	So I did:
 >
 > 	    dump 0f - /usr/local | (cd /mnt/sd1/e; restore xf -)
 >
 > 	as restore(8) suggests (in single user mode).

 > 	Using cmp(1) and md5(1) I was able to confirm that the new copies
 > 	of files on sd1 differed from the originals still stored on sd2.

 Can you reproduce this behaviour?

 I've just tried it by copying my /var over to another disk.  I'm also
 using the ncr driver.  Except for the obvious mismatches:

 # find . -type f | while read fname
 > do
 > cmp -s /var/$fname $fname || echo "$fname mismatch"
 > done
 ./account/acct mismatch
 ./log/cron mismatch
 #

 ...everything worked fine.  This is some 40 MB of data, consisting of
 lots of files (it also contains my news server hierarchy).

 I have done this previously, and cannot remember it giving me
 corrupted data either, so i would not suspect dump or restore being
 broken.  If it's not a hardware problem (that is only triggered by the
 different usage pattern for dump/restore vs. tar), i would rather
 suspect it being a VM problem or something in this line.

 If you can reproduce it, can you please provide us with a partial
 hexdump of the differing regions?

 --
 cheers, J"org