Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:14:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   WWW problem with 2.2-stable

Has anyone else experienced problems connecting to Altavista ?

Initially the problem showed up when browing their Usenet archives
(www2.altavista.digital.com), it would connect (netstat shows socket in
connected state) but no data would ever be recieved (confirmed by modem
lights). Eventually Netscape just times out. Once in a blue moon, it'll work,
but 99% of the time, it fails as above.

This has been happening for the past 4/5 months for me.

Lately, I'll get the same problem when connecting to their main WWW archive.
Initially it will work fine, but after 10 or so lookups, it just stops
responsing (as above).

I don't think it's a problem with my ISP as if I reboot into WinNT
using Internet Explorer, it works just fine (same account etc).

I'm running the Linux version of NS 4.0, but I tried going back to
an old x86-BSD version of NS 3.0 and had exactly the same problem.

I just upgraded to the latest version of -stable but the problem
persists.

Anyone got any trouble shooting tips (I'm wondering if I need to change
some tcp options). I sent e-mail to the Altavista support folks a couple of
times but never got a reply.

Thanks

Tony