Date:      Sun, 05 Sep 1999 20:32:03 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Alerts

In message <67508.936401799@localhost> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
: More than actually generating advisories, something which our security
: officers do a pretty reasonable job on, what we *really* need is
: someone to test the existing advisories/random reports/etc and figure
: out which exploits or DoS attacks are actually genuine.  Quite a bit
: of stuff gets sent to the security list and quite a bit of it often
: has no applicability whatsoever to FreeBSD, leading to a situation
: where security officers put it on the "test this at some point" pile
: and that pile can get pretty deep.  When faced with a "this has been
: tested and the following releases of FreeBSD are vulnerable" sort of
: message, however, they know that it's clearly a matter for immediate
: attention and it gets "escallated" quite a bit.

Yes.  This is true.  The "it might be a problem" messages tend to take
too long, especially when it impacts -stable and not -current.  I test
as many of them as I can on FreeBSD-current, but testing them on
-stable is much harder for me to do.

Things have also been clogged up for me of late due to a variety of
reasons which I've taken care of.  The rest of the security backlog
should be finished up this weekend...

Warner