Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 10:32:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Aaron Jackson <jackson@msrce.howard.edu>
To:        "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>, FreeBSD-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd hosting.

I live in the Washington, DC area and I had Bell
Atlantic ADSL service and I hated it.  It was not stable
and the pppoe implementation irritated the hell out of
me, some of my apps weren't compatible with the MACpoet
driver and development on a pppoe driver for OpenBSD
(my firewall OS of choice) is a little behind.  Bell
Atlantic used to have static ips, which was nice, but
they got rid of that a few months ago.  I ordered DSL
service from Covad (capu.net ISP) in March 2000, and by
March 30, 2000 it was installed.  During the
three week I was waiting for the DSL to be
installed, capu.net continuously updated me on my order
status, to the point where it became annoying.  There
were a few installation problems, but my ISP credited an
extra month to my account, so I was satisfied how things
were handled.  I wouldn't suggest anybody use Bell
Atlantic ADSL unless they had to, while I have been
satisfied by the service COVAD/capu.net have provided
me.

Quoting "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>:

> Dunno 'bout that... I was recently working for the
provider currently
> hosting dslreports.com... and we have been dealing
with Covad for way too
> long...  The incompetency at some of these companies,
along with the
> in-fighting with Bell over installations and what not
is unbelieveable. I
> ordered DSL for my fiancee back in October, 99, and it
finally got
> installed on New Year's Eve... however, I am still
unable to pass traffic
> over it, even now in May, 2000... I've had Covad out
to the house several
> times already, and It Just Doesn't Work (and she's
only 1/2 mile from the
> CO)
>
> At least here in Northern NJ/NYC area, the Covad
service is horrid... and
> Flashcom isn't doing well either... Friend of mine
ordered DSL from
> Flashcom, and didn't even get a confirmation call back
in almost 7
> weeks.  He called up, cancelled, and then called Bell
Atl.  and had his
> DSL up in 2 weeks.  Granted, he has ADSL, and it's
only costing him $40,
> but.
>
> And, at least where I am, I am roughly 18,250 feet
away from my CO, and
> that means I'm 250 feet too far, even for IDSL... As
far as Covad is
> concerned, that is too far for service.  I am able to
get ISDN, so the
> correlation to ISDN and IDSL being able to get both is
not entiirely true
> (at least in my case).  YMMV.
>
> I think the providers out West, i.e. in PacBell
territory and even US
> Worst from what I've heard from people in our other
offices, are much
> better at giving good DSL service, as they were the
ones who really
> developed it and deployed it first, so they've had the
time to work some
> of the bugs out.
>
> In correlation, I believe T1's are horridly expensive
out West also, so
> DSL, even if there is a slight downtime, is much more
cost-effective than
> a PTP or Frame circuit (this is my own guess, not
based on any hard
> evidence).
>
> Honestly, we sell out our rack space, and around here,
the most common
> thing that we recommend to our customers is the
following:  Put whatever
> servers you need critical uptime on in the rack, that
way they get
> guaranteed speed and uptime, and if you want good
speed at home, get
> either ISDN or DSL if available.  The cost works out
to about $400/month
> for both the rack and the DSL, and you get the best of
both worlds... have
> your development servers in house on the DSL so you
can test, and put your
> production environment on a well-connected backbone
co-located at a local
> provider.
>
> DSL looks like the next wave of dedicated service, but
at least here in
> the Tri-State area, they have a lot of work to do
before it can even come
> close to comparing with dedicated Frame and PTP
circuite...

> Just another $.02... ;)
>
> -Gary
>
> On Fri, 5 May 2000, spork wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 2 May 2000, Gary D. Margiotta wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > > DSL is still in its infancy, and if you need
uptime, you still won't
> get
> > > it reliably yet.  Too many bugs to still work out.
> >
> > Heh.  He's in Bell Atlantic territory.  We're seeing
better reliability
> on
> > our SDSL lines than our point-to-point T's.  The
reliability thing is FUD

majordomo@FreeBSD.org
the message

> > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the
message

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the
message

"You don't know what you don't know until you know that
you don't know it." -- Me