Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:45:04 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0-current 20000826 snapshot problems

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 10:23:34AM -0700, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> John Baldwin writes:
> > > FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
> > > (root@usw2.freebsd.org, Sat Aug 26 11:14:35 GMT 2000)
> > > /kernel text=0x2432ca zf_read: fill error
> > >
> > > elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
> >
> > Your floppy is bad.  Try a different one.
>
> Not necessarily. This also happens if you try to boot boot.flp
> instead of kern.flp.

It turns out it was a bad floppy, which I didn't even think of because
I don't think I've had a bad floppy disk in years and years (plus
I had been up all night beating my head on the desk over the whole
mess).

Thanks to everyone who replied.  I'm now typing this message from the
machine that I had to do the re-install on, so all is good.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mppsystems.com