Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:51:22 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recomendations for a msdos terminal program

Brian Beattie wrote:

> I have an old pen computer that runs msdos.  It has a keyboard and a
> floppy and I would like to use it to hook up a serial console.  Dose
> anybody have a recomendation for a terminal program that I can download,
> or directions on using kermit to connect to com2.

As far as I remember for Kermit it would be
something like:

set port 2
set speed 19200 (or whatever you want)
connect

You can write them to the Kermit start-up file
and get them auto-executed when you start Kermit.

And to exit from the connection to the command
mode the default key is ^] or maybe ^[, can't
remember now, it's normally displayed in the
lowest row.

If your kermit is not _very_ ancient you can get
help by entering "set ?" to get the list of options
for set or "set port ?" to get the help for "set port".
"help" gives the list of the commands.

I still have Kermit with sources from about '94 somewhere
in my archives, let me know if you want it.

> The two programs I have downloaded so far seem to only want to talk to a
> modem.  While I'm sure I can beat one of them into submission I though I'd
> ask for advice before I spend too much more time.

Make the modem initialization strings empty,
if there is an option "ignore carrier" then
enable it, select right speed. Go to the
terminal mode. That should be it.

-SB