Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:33:51 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        "Charles F. Dillon" <charlesdillon@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating via CD vs CTM etc

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 09:03:51AM -0800, Charles F. Dillon wrote:

> I have recently installed 3.3Stable ane noticed that 3.4Stable is now
> available.  How necessary is it update from 3.3 until, say, 4.0?(
> Save for must have feature :)) I use the machine as a single user
> desktop machine. Is seting up CTM worth it.  I plan to at some point,
> but I was curious if I could get away w/ version updates via
> CD(ISO-9660 images) until then.

It is not "necessary" to update to the latest 3.x release of the
sources.  I have been running for quite some time on 3.0-STABLE, before
I found the time for a cvsup, make world, update of /etc/, etc.

The way you will update the system depends on several factors.  For
instance, if it's not so easy to get cd9660 images distributed to your
area, and bandwidth is relatively cheap, an update by recompile sounds
really nice.

On the other hand, if you do update by fetching the latest sources, be
prepared for a relatively large /usr/src tree.  In my home machine, the
/usr/src hierarchy takes approximately 210 Mb.  On a machine with a
limited hard disk, this might sound just impossible [network and NFS
excluded here].

Of course, if you update the sources, do not use CTM, but CVSup.  It's
a lot more friendly to your bandwidth :)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]