Date:      Wed, 04 Jan 1995 09:59:12 -0500
From:      dusio <dusio@ws062.bytex.network.com>
To:        Dave Tweten <tweten@frihet.com>
Cc:        dusio <dusio@ws062.bytex.network.com>, questions@freebsd.org, dusio@ws062.bytex.network.com
Subject:   Re: Can't get 1024x768 in Xfree

Dave,

	Thanks for the help and advice.  Shortly after
receiving your message, I read a posting in
com.windows.x.i368unix by a user with the same video card.
He suggested that even though our card uses a proprietary
clockchip, that using the icd????a (I forget now)  clockchip
entry works fine.  ...It worked for me too!  I get all the
modes from 640x400 through 1280x1024 and its awesome!  I do
need to center and scale a bit, and that's where your
insight will help.

I liked the format of your response.  It answered my questions
directly while also providing insight in a hands-on useable
way.  I'm sure that I can now scale and move the steady images
on my screen.

I was pleased to learn about the <CTL><ALT><+> and
<CTL><ALT><-> keystrokes to switch between modes.  That will
help me debug my experiments.  I had considered creating a
spreadsheet, but I decided to code it in prolog (or C) so
it could find all the possible ModeLines for me.  I don't know
how to get a spreadsheet to do that...   ...Well, OK maybe I do.

Anyway,  Thanks a lot for the info.  I appreciate your concern
and replies.  Metaphorically speaking, Now that I've eaten, I'm
glad you helped teach me to fish instead of giving me a fish.

I would still like to know:

       How do I get ot the displays with the other
       depths?  The <CTL><ALT><+> keystroke moves me
       between resolutions in a depth, but how do I
       get the other depths?

Thanks,
   Joe Dusio (dusio@bytex.network.com)