Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2024 10:07:08 -0400
From:      Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
To:        "David E. Cross" <david@crossfamilyweb.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Review D38047 ... and then there was one....

On Sun, Oct 06, 2024 at 02:35:18PM -0400, David E. Cross wrote:
> As I have been prodding about open reviews, there is now only one that
> hasn't had any action.  One that is complete and in main (OMGYES), and one
> that is at the finish line (I think).
>

> That leaves just D38047 ( https://reviews.freebsd.org/D38047 ) ... Submitted
> Jan 13, **2023**, had initial peer review requests, I made all requested
> changes (or explained why I didn't)  Made my last substantive changes Aug 4,
> **2023**, I have since then semi-regularly updated with fresh rebases, but
> no other changes.
>

> Please, love to get some eyes on this.  As it stands nscd is completely
> useless for LDAP for getgroupmembership (and really ANY implementation that
> defines a specific implementation of getgroupmembership, since it will then
> bypass the non-existent NSCD version).  Additionally it fixes bugs with
> negative caching as well as increases thread safety.

One problem with this patch is that it fixes several bugs at once.
Though the process can be a bit tedious, it's much easier to review
smaller, self-contained patches which fix a single problem.  The change
to the nscd Makefile plus the cycle prevention symbol rename, for
instance, can be committed on its own.

I left some comments on the review in any case.  If you could split the
patch into several smaller ones, it'd be greatly appreciated.