Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:36:41 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: US Immigration (was: Funny, but true...)

On Wednesday, 17th June 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 at 05:12:59PM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
>> Iain Templeton wrote:
>> > Or we could just give guns to all the people who voted for One Nation on
>> > Saturday, and tell them that the American Wheat subsidies are killing the
>> > country.[Iain runs and hides]
>>
>> I thought that a One Nation government would _give_ out guns with their
>> low interest loans for all the ordinary people. The problem we'll
>> have is pointing out to them which ones are americans, though. We might
>> have to paint all americans red just in case all those One Nation supporters
>> aren't bright enough to differentiate. Now _I_ better run and hide... not
>> under the bed because they're looking there. After all, that's where all
>> the foreigners are, isn't it?
>>
>> [ Do I hear someone point out that I'm not aboriginal, so that makes me
>>   technically a foreigners too? ]
>
>Believe me, in Queensland you're safer as a foreigner. Paint your hair
>red and look dumb and confused whenever numbers are mentioned, and leave
>out a syllable or two when you say Australia. Spell it how you say it for
>good measure. You might be accepted as a supporter. Then you'll only have
>to worry about the 75% who didn't vote for her.

Wow!  Queensland politics makes it to the Hallowed Halls of freebsd-chat!

What a night, election night, as I watched the reactions of a bunch of
political analysts and politicians as the early counts came in.  Their
initial "there is a camera in front of me and I have to be jolly" enthusiasm
draining away and that sort of stunned animal caught in the headlights
expression settling in on their faces.

After a while they took a perverse glee in pointing to their traditional
opposition counterparts and claiming "at least you can't take any comfort
from this result".  Too bloody right.  At the time I was imagining all
our trading partners reading the newspaper the next day over their morning
noodles (for shock of shocks, we do trade with a lot of asians), and if
they managed to speak while choking on their breakfast, calling their
offices and saying "Those Queenslanders!  They're a bunch of maniacs!
Stop sending stuff there right now!"

Todays headlines are about trading partners and investors cancelling
orders and projects.  Funny old world.  Who'd have thought...

Stephen.

ObComputer: the tallies were/are available on the web at www.qld.gov.au and
updated semi-real-time.  Amusingly my Netscape 4.04 screwed up the tables
unless I set the font encoding to utf-8.  I invite you to check for yourself
whether http://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/ecq/summary/summary51.html has a
clear or a garbled "Percentage Graph".

Have I mentioned that it's a funny old world?

Disclaimer: My employer has no opinion on this matter, but I do.