Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 06:04:36 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Pine 4.44 Privacy Patch

On 2002-06-08 16:04 -0700, Roger Marquis wrote:
> DiCioccio, Jason <jdicioccio@epylon.com> wrote:
> >Am I crazy or do his comments EVER get closed?  Looks wrong to me
>
> That's because it's a patch, not a comment.  If you don't modify
> comment endings they don't show up in the patch.  See diff (1) for
> details.

Can you elaborate on this?  My diff(1) manpage seems to have
absolutely no comments for comments...

	$ man 1 diff | col -b | fgrep comment
	$

Moreover, here's a demo that shows comments pose no problem for diff
output.  No problem at all:

	$ cat > foo
	/*
	 * A comment.
	 */

	$ cat > foo2
	/*
	 * A comment.
	 * Yet another comment.
	 */

	$ diff -u foo foo2
	--- foo Sun Jun  9 06:01:29 2002
	+++ foo2        Sun Jun  9 06:01:47 2002
	 /*
	  * A comment.
	+ * Yet another comment.
	  */

Please do not state things that make well known programs, like diff,
look like they have some bug or misfeature, without providing details.
Especially on a list that's supposed to be a -security list.

- Giorgos