Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 22:25:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dustin Lang <dustinl@interchange.ubc.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ramblings from a Newbie...

Hi,

I've been playing with FreeBSD the last few days.  I've got 3.2-Release
installed, got a custom kernel built, and I'm now customizing things to
my liking.  Everything has gone smoothly, with a few bumps due to errors
in the operator code (ie, me :).

I come from a Linux background, so some of the BSDisms take a little
getting used to.  From what I've seen so far, FreeBSD seems like a good
solid system with a lot of attention given to details.  I'm impressed with
the attention to security issues throughout.  Also, my mind is still
grappling with the idea that there is only _one_ distribution. ("What kind
of system do you run?"  "Well, I started out with Slackware 3.4, but now
I'm running kernel 2.2.9 and glibc2 and... should I just send you
`ldconfig -v`?" :)

I have just one question, but it's not specific to FreeBSD or even BSD.
Why on earth do people use vi?  I'm not trying to start a flame war or
anything, but it's just so unfriendly.  Doing the install was simple
and very friendly up until I did a 'chsh' and got vi!  My editor of choice
is pico, the editor that looks like pine and has instructions on the
bottom.  Sure, it's simple and doesn't have all the advanced features you
might want in an editor, but for doing a 'chsh', it's sufficient!  Of
course, that's just me...

Before hitting reply and flaming me, check this out and have a chuckle...
http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/99may/19990508.html
(disregard the Linux advertising/propaganda)

Thanks to all the developers out there for making a great system!
dstn.

--     Dustin Lang, dustinl@interchange.ubc.ca    --
(java developer, linux guy, freak with rainbow hair)

User, n.: a particularly  slow and unreliable input/
output  device  that  is  attached by default to the
standard input and output streams.
     (stolen from a Gamelan article, author unknown)