Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:15:45 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Questions about FreeBSD and Linux on the same disk

Howdy,

I'm looking to expand my horizons so I'm experimenting with Ubuntu. I
was given the advice to use ext2 file systems so that I could mount the
Linux disks from FreeBSD but it seems that we have support up through
ext4? Or perhaps the port of efs2progs is necessary for that? I don't
mind using ext2 if that's the best choice, but if I can use the newer
(better?) option that's fine too. What I am looking for is the "safe"
choice, a way to mount the partitions that a) won't crash FreeBSD, and
b) won't cause data loss. This would be for both FreeBSD 7-stable and
9-current.

On the other side, I'm reading up on mounting ufs2 from Linux, and it
seems r/w support is still considered "dangerous." I can mount r/o just
fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has actual experience with using r/w
on a regular basis.

In addition to just wanting to be able to access stuff that is on one
OS' disk from the other on an occasional basis my grand scheme is to
have all/part of a home directory that is shared between OS'; so that's
my definition of "safe." So far it seems that the best/safest
alternative is an ext2 partition, which is Ok, but I'd prefer to stick
with ufs2 if possible since FreeBSD is still going to be my main platform.

TIA,

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso