Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 01:07:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Dustin Lang <dustinl@interchange.ubc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ramblings from a Newbie...

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Dustin Lang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with FreeBSD the last few days.  I've got 3.2-Release
> installed, got a custom kernel built, and I'm now customizing things to
> my liking.  Everything has gone smoothly, with a few bumps due to errors
> in the operator code (ie, me :).
>
> I come from a Linux background, so some of the BSDisms take a little
> getting used to.  From what I've seen so far, FreeBSD seems like a good
> solid system with a lot of attention given to details.  I'm impressed with
> the attention to security issues throughout.  Also, my mind is still
> grappling with the idea that there is only _one_ distribution. ("What kind
> of system do you run?"  "Well, I started out with Slackware 3.4, but now
> I'm running kernel 2.2.9 and glibc2 and... should I just send you
> `ldconfig -v`?" :)
>
> I have just one question, but it's not specific to FreeBSD or even BSD.
> Why on earth do people use vi?  I'm not trying to start a flame war or
> anything, but it's just so unfriendly.  Doing the install was simple
> and very friendly up until I did a 'chsh' and got vi!  My editor of choice
> is pico, the editor that looks like pine and has instructions on the
> bottom.  Sure, it's simple and doesn't have all the advanced features you
> might want in an editor, but for doing a 'chsh', it's sufficient!  Of
> course, that's just me...

that's odd, freebsd has "ee" a simple editor that _should_ be the default...

I dislike ee and I hate pico.  Pico is so featureless it's shameful,
for instance can you:

delete 5 lines quickly?    5dd
now go up 20 lines and insert that cut text? 20kP
append to end of line?     A
replace all X for next 5 lines?   :.,+5s/pattern/replace/g
go to a line, like 2000?   2000G

not worry about getting your lines wrapped?  yes

and then there's wonderful "gvim" (/usr/ports/editors/vim)
which offers an X interface, mouse and syntax highlighting.

When I was first exposed to vi after using Pico I thought I'd never
use it as well, however since the professor at my school made sure
to ridicule you unless you were using vi several weeks into his
classes I soon made the switch.  trust me, it's worth it.

Not only programmers and administrators benifit from vi but at my last
job it was even a requirement for the HTML people.  It'll also save
your skin when/if you ever have to do something on a bare-install
commercial unix, as they mostly don't come equiped with anything
besides vi.

learn vi, it's good for you.

a lot of companies hiring for admin jobs ask a few vi questions as the
first thing of the interview, if you don't know the answers you should
consider the interview over.

-Alfred

> Before hitting reply and flaming me, check this out and have a chuckle...
> http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/99may/19990508.html
> (disregard the Linux advertising/propaganda)

laff :)

I remeber edlin and have used "ex" quite a number of times to
fix really broken things...